Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Daniel Sadilek
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:47:19 +0100

Fully understandable, but Qt is big and I fear that a complete wrapper
will end up as a huge lump that has continuously be maintained (to stay
complete). The qt egg is explicitly meant as a lightweight facility for
exploiting the meta-object protocol of Qt - sort of an experiment (but
still quite useful).

Hm, I think a "cross-platform gui toolkit" is a big thing anyway?
Let's assume you want a lighwight GUI toolkit. You said, you want to
accomplish the platform independency by implementing your API against
different existing platform specific toolkits. I suppose that approach
will take as least as much effort as when you implement your API
against QT, because the platform independency is encapsulated in it.
Last but not least: Couldn't the meta-object protocol of QT actually
help to write a wrapper that is not as fragile regarding changes of QT
as wrappers for other toolkits regarding their changes?

Best regards
Daniel Sadilek