Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names

From: Shawn W.
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:01:52 -0700

On May 15, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Brandon Van Every wrote:
On 5/15/07, Shawn W. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Universal binary support to go along with that would be nice
> too. The latter is easy to do. (Add '-arch i386 -arch ppc' to the
> cflags used by the chicken compiler, and I /think/ everything will
> work automagically. I'll test that.)
>

> This can be done, but we really need a person with a Mac who's
> interested in using CMake.  I can advise but I can't test this
> issue, I have no Mac.  An interested person could put the issue
> into the bug tracker and CC: bvanevery.

The main reason I want Automake retired, is so that when people like you come along with energy for fixing things, that they will try their hand at CMake. I don't want the energies of the community split by Autoconf.

At a first go, read INSTALL-CMake.txt and try to build Chicken on your Mac OS X. Then see the bugtracker ticket I've just added about universal binaries. http://trac.callcc.org/ticket/214

(I tried putting this in trac, but it keeps getting rejected as spam. Huh?)

I installed cmake, and figured out how to make it produce an Xcode project file. Even though CMake came up with an option to specify which build architectures to use, the generated project file only did powerpc. After adding i386, I tried compiling... and it didn't work -- posixwin.c was included in the source, and, for some reason, it took 5 minutes for Xcode to respond to /anything/ -- which is NOT normal for it. I gave up fighting that before I got any results. (I used cmake 2.4p6, which is what was in my package system. Dunno if there's a newer release that produces a project that doesn't cause the issue.)

Next, I tried using cmake to generate makefiles. It came up with the same build architecture option, but, just as with the Xcode option, seems to ignore it.

Initial impression of cmake after 10 minutes: I don't like it. It makes Xcode projects that do their best to break Xcode. The makefiles it generates hide too much; I had to check ps and, after tracking down where it was putting object files, use file to confirm that it was only producing powerpc code. And it colorizes stuff! Icky.

Please don't get rid of the autoconf and automake and libtool way of building. (Which I like to use in decreasing order. autoconf is great. automake is ugly and I try to avoid using it for my own projects, preferring autoconf and hand-written makefiles. libtool is... I've already said what I feel about that. But the alternatives seem to be just as bad.) It's still better than cmake, at least for me.

--
Shawn W.
address@hidden