Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Scheme for mobile devices?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken Scheme for mobile devices?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:56:06 -0500

Hi Arne,

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:11:01 +0100 Arne Eilermann <address@hidden> wrote:

> first of all I'd like to introduce myself, because this is my first
> posting on this list and it's kinda not mine at all. :-)

Welcome!

> The last years ruby was my everyday programming language and it still
> is. But my new job at bevuta and a few people around this company
> brought me to chicken, which I'm now learning.

I hope you are enjoying Chicken.

> My company just chose me to be some kind of a chicken communication
> minion, so the rest of this mail is more like bevuta speaking to you.
>
> A few words on the company: The bevuta IT GmbH is a software company
> based in cologne, Germany. We are like 10 Geeks in an office to which
> Moritz Heidkamp – you may know him – in 2010 brought chicken. We did a
> few smaller project in chicken but now the first bigger one knocks on
> our door.

I should add that bevuta has been generously funding our call-cc.org
server, and we are truly grateful for that.

> This project involves the development of a framework to create cross
> platform GUI applications in chicken on Android and iOS. The bindings
> for JNI to access Android's API is mostly done. The next step will be
> doing something like that for iOS. With this bindings we want to
> create an abstraction layer to get a common interface.
> All of this is part of a bigger commercial and proprietary contract
> work, but the emerging framework shall be released to the community.

That sounds really interesting.

> We already got some experiences with chicken on mobile devices. In
> 2011 we did some OpenGL stuff on Android and iOS. Moritz was
> significantly involved in this. It was mostly experimenting, but it
> did quite well.
>
> If anybody of you is interested to join, feel free. We would be glad.

It looks that there are other people interested in getting Chicken
running on mobile platforms.  So, I think there are good chances we'll
soon see some nice projects on that area.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario