cjk-list

Re: [cjk] Argh I see, dvips seems to be producing rubbish!

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] Argh I see, dvips seems to be producing rubbish!
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 17:23:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 3/6/17, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thorsten sent me the problematic `nose'
 subfonts: The glyphs *are*
 missing :-)
 This indicates a bug with fontforge, ...

On my dvips output, the 3 glyphs are missing, but also half of the document has
the wrong glyphs. I'll just describe it as rubbish :-).

It is most likely a bug with fontforge; but besides my general lack of
experience with it (this is perhaps the first time I used it!), it also takes
about 26 minutses per face on my hardware - so It took almost an hour for
converting both Regular and Bold; it is not exactly practical to "try" anything
without a clear idea of what/which part to change. OTOH, running ttf2tfm takes
only seconds so trying and things not working out correctly isn't a problem.

I have the working ttm's from ttf2tfm, which works for both dvipdfmx and
pdftex; are they supposedly to be the same, or at least functionally identical,
to those from fontforge? Maybe I'll compare the two sets and see if I can see
what fontforge is doing wrong; hacking at fontforge itself without an idea
first isn't practical for my hardware.

Hin-Tak