cjk-list

Re: [cjk] Argh I see, dvips seems to be producing rubbish!

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: [cjk] Argh I see, dvips seems to be producing rubbish!
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 05:51:56 -0400

Now I had a bit more time. So I have tried to work with pstool. I
attach the not quite minimum working example file sample-pstool.tex.

--------

While with auto-pst-pdf I can write the psfrag commands directly to my
main LaTeX file, with pstool that doesn't seem to work. I have to write
an auxiliary file <figure name>.tex including my psfrag commands. That
means around 250 extra files in my main directory. From that and my
main file pstools during the LaTeX run generates a <figure name>-
pstool.tex. Therefor an extra LaTeX run seems to create the files
pstool.log -- which makes another 750 extra files, in total now summing
up to 1000 extra files.

For testing purposes only I wrote Chinese signs into one of my psfrag
strings. In the end of the PDFLaTeX run I get the warning: "Package
pstool Warning: Execution failed during process:"
and the PDF shows a red message instead of the diagram:
"An error occured processing graphic:
‘./lambertreflektion.eps’
Check the log file for compilation errors:
‘./lambertreflektion-pstool.log’"

If I look into <figure name>-pstool.log, it complains about every
single chinese sign in the psfrag commands:
"! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char ... (U+58A8) (inputenc) not set
up for use with LaTeX."

So, if I haven't done something wrong, pstool doesn't seem to like
Chinese in the psfrag commands -- even if type 1 fonts are installed...

---------

If instead I compile everything along the chain LaTeX-Dvips-Gswin64
everything works quite as normal -- chinese signs are included, but --
not much astonishing -- some are still missing as since days before.

---------

Then I commented out the offending line with the Chinese signs inside
the psfrag command in sample-pstool.tex as well as in <figure name>-
pstool.tex. Apart from the same missing signs now the Chinese appeared.
That seems to mean to me, that I made everyxthing right with my text --
it just doesn't like Chinese inside the psfrag command. Of course
inserting the Chinese signs into the psfrag command is not quite fair.
I doubt heavily, whether I myself will ever need that.

I think, my next step should be to install the Noto Serif CJK fonts as
system fonts and then try to use LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX -- of course still
without Chinese inside psfrag. Or is there any other chance to get a
COMPLETE set of type 1 Noto Serif CJK -- and simply go on with good ol'
LaTeX, with 1000 files less in my directory and the possibility to use
Chinese inside the psfrag commands as well?

---
http://www.avg.com