Re: Classpath future?

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: 12 Jul 2001 17:31:04 -0400

"Etienne M. Gagnon" <address@hidden> writes:

> You have to understand I am very fortunate that UQAM [unlike many other
> Universities Canada] does explicitely recognise "contributions to the
> collectivity" as part of a professor's task.  But, part of this is that
> contributions should "reflect on the University".  Copyright assignment,
> be it to the best non-for-profit organization, does not fit well at all
> within my employer's objectives (nor my personal ones, as I am the
> Copyright holder, in the current situation).  It is a legitimate right
> that I have not to give away the Copyright on code I write, while still
> distributing it under a GNU license.  OK, I won't be able to benefit
> from the FSF's legal team to defend my code, but this is my problem, not
> the FSF's.  So, I don't see why the Classpath project cannot accept
> contributions without Copyright assignment.

You have several options, assignment is just one.  Here's maintainer
instructions on dealing with this.

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_6.html#SEC6

I've attached the most recent conditions.text for all to read.  You
should let me know privately what seems right for you.

> Also, I maintain my reserves on the current text of the GPL exception.
> It is (unless I'm proven wrong) quite too permissive, not requiring
> source code distribution.

Paul usually deals with RMS on these legal matters.  Even though I
assume he did so here, I'll gladly contact RMS to make sure what we
have now is what we intended.  Either he'll agree or we'll slightly
modify it as you say was done for SableVM and this should remove your
reservations I think.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>