Re: 0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: 0.05 Update [was Re: 0.05]
Date: 27 Jan 2003 21:12:53 -0500

Brian Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> Below is my update on where we're at with the next release.  Comments
> welcome.
>
> > For those who aren't aware, gcc is preparing a 3.3 release in a couple
> > of months.  I'd like to make a new Classpath release, perhaps in the
> > next few weeks, depending on how long it takes to get most of the
> > things below accomplished.  So below I borrowed heavily from the
> > format of Tom's email to the gcj list earlier.
> >
> > There are still a number of bugs, patches, etc. I want to have fixed
> > or integrated before making a new Classpath release.
> >
> > My current list:
> >
> > * Integrate any remaining patches on Savannah as needed.
>
> 620     Locale optimization             2002-Oct-30 20:36       tromey
> 722     ignore supported timeout...     2002-Nov-26 10:10       mark
> 728     fixes to sorting arrays         2002-Nov-26 11:08       jewel

With no objections these patches will not be integrated before the
release.

> > * Fix Classpath bugs found by running Mauve with GCJ, Kissme, ORP,
> > or SableVM.
>
> There is a status page here for GCJ,
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/gcj-3.3-status.html.  I haven't gone through
> the errors encountered with running Mauve with Kissme yet though they
> are posted on the project web page.

I have started working at these, but these will simply need to be
noted for the release.

> > * Fix FilePermission bugs reported on Mauve mailing list.
>
> Patch from David King needs to be incorporated into Mauve, failures
> found in Classpath documented or fixed.
>
> > * Bugs 744, 835, 1190, 1966 (this is all the bugs) on Savannah

Just 835 remains on Savannah, it may be that we don't implement
SHA1PRNG correctly, however since we're pushing GNU Crypto they
probably provide the correct implementation anyway.

> > * Import/CVS link in classpathx jaxp.  This includes all files that
> >   are part of org.w3c.dom, org.xml.sax, javax.xml, related gnu.* from
> >   classpathx jaxp project.
>
> Pinging Nic about this, will import soon.

Just going to import this.

> > * Resolve javax.sound - http://tritonus.org/
>
> Want to try this out and hopefully point users to it.

Perhaps with more free JVMs using it developer activity will increase.

> > * Resolve org.ietf.jgss - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2853.txt
>
> Likely to become a todo item, not preventing release.
>
> > * Resolve the org.omg.* issues and implement whatever we decide.
> >   Currently, this is something I need to followup on.

So I did followup on it and despite email indicating I would get a
response soon I haven't received anything yet.  I'll just have to
continue following up on this, but will forego for this release.

> > * Ensure support of GNU Crypto as a full security provider.
>
> Will verify and test this, Mark is most familiar.  Might need to write
> some documentation on how to do it.

I have some documentation on how to try it out from GNU Crypto
maintainer but I need to use it and clean up the documentation for the
release.

> > * Work with Kissme and JRVM, SableVM, and ORP if possible from the release.
>
> Kissme and JRVM appear likely.

There are reports both work.  :)

> SableVM may come soon after.

Probably after the release.

> I've not heard anything out of the ORP team in quite a while, but
> would like to know if that project is still alive or not.

ORP team has confirmed they would welcome help, to paraphrase.

JAOS should have a release soon after our release as well.

> > * Pass Mauve test suite with 0 FAIL (we need a means of XFAILing tests
> >   we know we won't fix).

Okay, yes I was smoking crack, or hopeful or something.

> > * Full javadoc generated by gjdoc available for general consumption.
>
> This task is complete and available from our project web page and also
> will be part of the distribution.  There are probably bugs in the
> gjdoc output and the copyright on each page isn't quite
> right... developers interested in taking on gjdoc or writing 'jar' and
> other tools are very much needed.

TODO Recap:

* Bug 835
* Import JAXP