Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage

From: Patrik Reali
Subject: Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:15:21 +0200

The LGPL has a rather interesting point in paragraph 6a. where they state
that it is obviously possible to change the code, but "It is understood that
the user who changes the contents of definitions files in the Library will
not necessarily be able to recompile the application to use the modified
definitions".

I think this bit is not in the GPL (as every piece of code is released under
the GLP).

This is obviously common sense. The same holds for any implementation of a
protocol (even the GPLed ones) that everything can be changed, but nobody
would seriously expect them to work afterwards. Would you consider the
implementation of a standard or a protocol (which cannot change freely) to
violate the GPL?

I do not know what the OMG licences doens't allow to do (I couldn't find the
implementatio either).

-Patrik

--------
Patrik Reali