Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance

From: Guilhem Lavaux
Subject: Re: The Mauve unicode testcase and VM performance
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:16:59 +0200

Stephen Crawley wrote:
| Folks,
|
| I've just checked in a new version of the Mauve testcase for Unicode
| character handling.  This fixes previous problems that resulted in
| huge numbers of test failures with the current version of Classpath.
| [It turns out that they were partly because the testcase used an old
| Unicode table, but mostly because of testcase bugs; i.e. tests that
| were wrong vis-a-vis the JDK 1.4 javadoc.]
|
| The testcase now runs clean for JDK 1.4.2 as well as Kissme/Classpath
| from CVS.
|
| The interesting thing is that the test run 200 times faster with JDK 1.4.2
| than with Kissme.  Yes TWO HUNDRED TIMES!
|
| $ cat /tmp/foo
| gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode
|
| $ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java -cp ../mauve
gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness \
|    -debug < /tmp/foo
| Reading unicode database...
| done
| Benchmark : load:288ms   tests:505ms
| 0 of 3578944 tests failed
|
| $ useful_scripts/kissme -cp ../mauve gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness
- -debug < /tmp/foo
| Reading unicode database...
| done
| Benchmark : load:13892ms   tests:104699ms
| 0 of 3578944 tests failed
|
| (This is on a 2.5Ghz Pentium IV)
|
| Question: what figures do people get with other open source VMs?

Thanks for fixing unicode !

On my PIV 2.5 it gives with kaffe jit3:

address@hidden mauve]$ echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode
| kaffe gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:1052ms   tests:334ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed
address@hidden mauve]$ echo gnu.testlet.java.lang.Character.unicode
| /usr/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java gnu.testlet.SimpleTestHarness -debug
Reading unicode database...
done
Benchmark : load:266ms   tests:406ms
0 of 3578944 tests failed

Answer: hmmmm.... 70ms faster for tests but 5 times slower for loading.

Cheers,
Guilhem.