RE: Mauve test question

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Mauve test question
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:28:51 +0100

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2004 08:58, you wrote:
> > Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > This brings the running of mauve back to one 'java -jar' and
> > > then just following instructions.  (that 'java' is just an
> > > example; it should work on any JVM)
> > > here is the jar file:
> http://members.home.nl/zander/alltests.jar (1mb)
> >
> > Thank you! I really like this idea. A couple of thoughts/requests:
> > - We need to get rid of the gnu.testlet.config interface for this to
> > work
> Agreed.
> The simplest solution to this problem IMO is to provide a
> .bat and .sh script.  The 'java -jar mauve.jar' would then not only
> write the "tests" file, but also these files.  This means that the
> shell-script would be responsible for providing the pathseparator
> and all those variables, since we obviously can't rely on the chosen
> jvm to provide them.   Right?

I don't know. Personally I wouldn't mind depending on the VM to get
these basics things right, but I don't know how others feel about this.

> > - Can you please write out the tests file with the correct line
> > separator?
> with 'correct' you mean the one from config.java?  It now
> writes a '\n'.
> Which I thought would be correct. No?

No, you need to use System.getProperty("line.separator"), or simply use
a PrintWriter and call println().

> What about this:
> <testrun tests="jdk1.5">
> <test class="java/awt/geom/CubicCurve2D/solveCubic">
>     <fail>
>         <!-- checkpoint and number are unique per test, right ? -->

For good tests yes, but for many tests unfortunately not. They have a
different number of checks based on whether a tests fails or succeeds.

Long term these should be fixed, but short term I would simply look at
each test class as a test (and not distinguish the individual tests
inside the class).

Regards,
Jeroen