Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:34:06 -0600

Roman Kennke wrote:
Ah, now I'm understanding. I think maybe you mean the mauve HTML pages
that I once put together? This basically tested different runtimes
against the Mauve suite and formatted to Mauve output nicely into HTML
for displaying in a browser, so it is easily visible which tests fails
(red) and which don't (green). Is that what you mean? If yes, then I can
tell you that the nessecary scripts are not online ATM due to lack of
resources on my side, but probably soon will be available again on
developer.c.o. At least I hope so...

Something like that :-)

Basically, here's my problem. When I run Mauve against my VM, there
are some test failures. Some are caused by Classpath and some are caused
by my VM. Right now I don't know which is which. But if I did then that
information would be very valuable, because it would save me a lot of
time in tracking down the problem. I'm sure all the other VM implementors
face the same situation.

Sometimes I'm working on my particular VM and want to fix its bugs.
Other times I'm working on Classpath and want to fix its bugs. So it's
nice to know which bugs are which.

This information does exist, we just haven't compiled it and made it
easily accessible. Your HTML pages are a nice step in that direction.
They still don't completely tell us whether a test failure is because
of Classpath itself or not, i.e., it could be that all the tested VM's
exhibit the same problem, but presumably that's pretty rare, so not
a big deal.

If we're going to make these HTML pages the "official" place for
VM implementors to look for this information, that's OK. I'd just
like us to decide and then do it, keep them updated, etc. This can
perhaps be automated, etc.

-Archie