Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win

From: Enrico Migliore
Subject: Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:10:57 +0100

Hi Dalibor,

thanks for your prompt answer.

(I had to disable gtk-peer because for some reason the configure utility
says "X is not installed"... even though X is installed through Cygwin...
I'm sure X is running because I got the excellent DDD debugger which
is a Windows based program, working on my Win2k)

that could indicate a bug in the configure.ac code for X detection.

ok, let's keep this in mind and face one problem at a time.

The problem is that the Classpath compilation process started this
morning at 8:00 and, at 5 p.m., hasn't finished it.

The machine I'm using is a:

CPU: Intel @ 3GHz
RAM: 192 MBytes
OS: WinXP
case: Laptop

Is it reasonable a compilation time that long?

yes. it is probably swapping itself to death.
Do you mean anything is going wrong?

I can build kaffe's copy of classpath (which adds a ton of more files, including gnu crypto) on a box with 1gb in less then a minute (p4 3ghz, latest cygwin, win xp, etc.).
if it takes less than a minute, something is definetely going wrong.

Jikes is not superbly memory efficient. Afair, neither is gcjx or ecj.
Building Kaffe's copy of the class libs takes more than 180M of memory,
so (since I've got a p3-650/192M notebook :) I am building on more
potent machines.

The hard disk is still, that means that Jikes is not making use of virtual memory.
I'm gonna stop the build.

Any suggestions are welcome?

cheers,
dalibor topic