Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:34:29 -0600

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 15:56 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> The idea of having immediatly playbacked the note is nice, however it should
> be
> the users choice to turn it off/on since I, for example, absolutly don't like
> it. And if I need it I normally have my Midikeyboard connect to ZynAddSubFx
> or Linuxsampler so I get sound anyway, without Denemo. Please note that with
> JACK its no problem to route your midi-input to denemo and some other
> programm at the same time.

It is already a switch in preferences->play back notes immediately. It
is currently broken at the moment. My desire was to create an interface
that I could test immediately.

> To the JACK-output. Do you mean JACK-audio output for the (CSound?-)playback

csound already has jack audio output itself. There is no need for that.

> or do you mean midi output?

midi output

> For the midi-output I agree that there has to be some amount of time to be
> spent. Midi-output is not a easy thing and it should be well designed with
> proper reactions to the Denemo-commands. Also there would be a massive amount
> of new functions needed, for example tempo-changes/metronome-changes which
> would be recognized by both Lilypond and midi, and universal-functions to
> directly alter midi-commands, like the lilypond-entry function is now used
> for lilypond.
>
> If Denemo should be able to output midi, which could be really amazing, then
> it should be done properly. And if you ask me its a post 1.0 thing :)

Most everything has been written already in exportmidi. The only thing
is that exportmidi was written to output to a file. It also does one
track at a time. So it reads the data into a file line by line.
Exporting to jack midi would be mostly the same just reading the
vertically (multiple tracks simultaneous) instead of horizontally (one
track at a time).

Jeremiah