Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Till Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 20:44:26 +0100

Jeremiah Benham schrieb:
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 16:55 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:27 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:13 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

I have plugged in my m-audio keystation 49 and doing
cat /dev/midi
I can see the midi data coming in as I press the keys.

We can a universal function that responds to midi messages NOTE_ON,
NOTE_OFF, PITCH_BEND, etc... and if jack is not available we can
default
to oss. Alsa does oss emulation so the user just has to provide the
device path /dev/snd/midi02, /dev/midi or whatever.

Is it alsa that is creating /dev/midi when I plug in the music-keyboard?

If you are using alsa then yes. I don't know if it is the driver
creating the device nodes or not. This is through the oss emulation.

There is something responding to the hotplugging of my music-keyboard by
creating /dev/midi.

hotplug is probably used to ensure the correct alsa modules are loaded.

I have both alsa and jack installed I think, but I
have no /dev/sequencer - I don't know what might create that (it would
have to be a soft synthesizer as I don't have dedicated hardware).

You probably don't have a hardware synth in your sound card. You can
emulate one with timidity or other software. By default ubuntu lauches
timidity in damen mode. Anything written to /dev/sequencer is sounded
via timidity as the events are received.

It looks like for the non-jack branch we could possibly just collect

the

simplest "noteon" data and use it as pitch input for Denemo.

You are going to want to process it to determine if the input is
overlapping or if the foot pedal has been pressed.

Yes, but to achieve as much as the audio entry does we would just need
the noteon data. I think we should aim to model the midi in to look like
the keyboard in and the mouse in, so that we can make midi shortcuts
(like tweaking the pitch bend wheel to do a delete) using similar code.
I think it would be good to be able to do all the music entry from the
music-keyboard.
For example:
I can imagine setting up the music-keyboard for doing rhythm entry.
Perhaps whole note = C, half note D etc, then entering rhythms would
have the added advantage of audible feedback - you would soon get to
recognize if you had pressed a quarter note for a half note by the sound
it makes. Things like eighth-note sixteenth-note sixteenth-note would
make a little tune which you would recognise as you played it
(rhythmically) in on the music-keyboard.

What would these little sounds sound like? sound effects?