Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:32:07 +0100

Yes, I am sure it is that font. We will want to include it with Denemo
only for installation on Windows systems, in which case it would become
a dependency of Denemo as far as Debian is concerned I guess.
*HOWEVER* all interested parties take note:
        The musical symbols are *only* in the FreeSerif font, not in the
FreeSans one. This means all Denemo text will be in a font with serifs,
which is not fashionable nowadays. (Personally, I find seriffed
typefaces more legible).

Alternatives:
                              * Get to grips with font-substitution.
                                (Needs a C-hacker)
                              * Hack the musical symbols section of the
                                FreeSerif font into the FreeSans font
                                and save the result as the new
                                denemo.ttf (requires patience with
                                fontforge).

I can check in Denemo with musical symbols available for labels, display
text etc and you can try it out (I have an example too, the MM marking
label has some notes on it to give you the idea).

In case you are wondering why the lilypond fonts are not sufficient, it
is because they don't treat things like quarter notes as a single glyph
- that is they are not for writing sentences mentioning music signs,
which is the sort of thing we want to do in Denemo when we are
explaining something...
Comments please

and many thanks Josue for all the info, I will keep it in mind when we
decide which way to go.

Richard