Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Denemo font
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:29:27 +0100

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 20:32 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
>        The musical symbols are *only* in the FreeSerif font, not in
> the
> FreeSans one. This means all Denemo text will be in a font with
> serifs,
> which is not fashionable nowadays. (Personally, I find seriffed
> typefaces more legible).
>
> Alternatives:
>                               * Get to grips with font-substitution.
>                                 (Needs a C-hacker)
>                               * Hack the musical symbols section of
> the
>                                 FreeSerif font into the FreeSans font
>                                 and save the result as the new
>                                 denemo.ttf (requires patience with
>                                 fontforge).

Actually, there is a further subtlety, which makes the situation better:
the font used generally in Denemo *is* substituted by GTK, so the music
symbols are available assuming the system has the FreeSerif font
installed. The only place where we need to switch to FreeSerif as our
font is in the drawing area (the bar numbers, instrument names etc).
We will need to ship the FreeSerif font with Denemo for windows, and
IIRC we didn't have the expertise last time to selectively install stuff
dependent on OS, maybe things are better now?
I'll push the font stuff to git now, and await comments.