Re: [Denemo-devel] more of "Immediate Playback"

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] more of "Immediate Playback"
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:21:00 -0500 (EST)

On November 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM rshann <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Actually, ANY transposing or pitch editing.  The "i" and "k" for me
> > are "tonal
> >step up" and "tonal step down"
> >but I'd also like to hear the note on "half tone up" and "half tone
> > down"
> >change.  Or any pitch other change.
>
> Hmm, Denemo does re-sound a note when, for example, you sharpen it.
> This was partly why the command to sharpen the upcoming note was
> created.
> Generally people don't want to hear an F-natural sounding before they
> turn it to F-sharp,
> because it is out of the key they are composing in - it jars. But
> Denemo has no way of guessing
> that, so the SharpenNext (or whatever it is called) command was created
> which waits for the next note
> and then sharpens it before inserting & sounding the note in one
> action. This took no small engineering
>   effort, so I remember it well!
>
> So, I am not quite sure what it is you are working with, but for the
> longest of whiles Denemo has been
> sounding every edit made to a chord by playing the entire chord at the
> cursor (and this includes the
> special case of one note chords).

Hmm... not so for me.  I just rechecked in both my 0.9.3 and 0.9.7 versions.
 Notes/Rest -> Transpose Music -> Tonal step up/down

and Half Step up/down changes the note but no sound is made.

Now... the + and - directives DO trigger a sound.

Again, one of the main reasons I decided to request this is for multi-timbral
instruments/ranges -- primarily percussion, but also other weird midi patch
splits, etc.