[Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 02:48:15 +1100

People,

Googling found some previous posts trying to get this to work with earlier versions of Denemo but they were no help for me so I hope it is OK to request help here. Prior to this exercise I have been able to set timidity up as a daemon and play sounds and record stuff from the MIDI K/B but qjackctl won't run with timidity running in daemon mode. So this is what I have now:

"aconnect -i -o" gives:

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'AXIS-49 2A' [type=kernel]
    0 'AXIS-49 2A MIDI 1'
client 130: 'denemo' [type=user]
    0 'midi_in         '
    1 'midi_out        '

In Denemo Preferences - Audio/MIDI I have:

Audio Backend - Portaudio

Output device - ALSA: HDA Intel: 92HD73E1X5 Digital (hw:0,1)

MIDI Backend - ALSA

Rhythm entry for MIDI - checked

In the qjackctl connections dialog there are:

- System entries under the Audio tab

- No entries under the MIDI tab

- All the stuff that aconnect listed above under the ALSA tab

But:

- I still can't select "MIDI Input" from the Input menu

- From the qjackctl connection dialog I can connect the "AXIS-49 2A MIDI out" to the "Denemo MIDI in" - but nothing shows up in Denemo when hitting the keys

- If I try and select "MIDI Input" from the Input menu again - it disconnects the link in the qjackctl dialog box

I've run out of ideas . . suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil.
--