Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackct

From: Edgar Aichinger
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 10:04:58 +0100

Am Sonntag, 19. Januar 2014, 14:08:26 schrieb Philip Rhoades:

> This is what I have in Edit-Preferences-Audio/MIDI - seemingly no matter
> what I do:
>
>    Audio Backend
>      PortAudio
>      JACK
>      none
>
>    Output Device
>      Lots of ALSA devices
>
> the third panel has:
>
>    MIDI Backend
>      ALSA
>      JACK
>      none
>
> - can you tell me what you see in your setup?

The same. My build supports portaudio, but not portmidi, because of the bug i
referred to in my previous post. I tried to come up with a quick solution
yesterday, but failed, and won't have much time next week to look at it again,
sorry.

For me choosing either ALSA or JACK as MIDI Backend just works. For JACK the
jackd server has to be running of course...

Choosing the backend and pressing OK immediately creates the respective denemo
port, so it become visible in e.g. qjackctl in the ALSA resp. MIDI tab (right
panel), and I can connect my keyboard (left panel) to it.

To use JACK MIDI properly you have to start the a2jmidid daemon or use the -X
seq commandline option (MIDI driver config option in qjackctl) to jackd, both
methods will forward ALSA MIDI ports to the JACK MIDI system. JACK MIDI itself
doesn't create hardware ports, so you need that to see your MIDI keyboard in
qjackctl's MIDI tab. a2jmidid is preferred over -X seq because it supplies
better MIDI timing.

> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

Edgar