Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackct

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:47:37 +0000

On Sun, 2014-01-19 at 01:15 +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> > In the Edit->Change Preference->Audio/MIDI tab under MIDI Backend,
> > Input
> > Device. The MIDI backend should be PortMidi and you device should
> > appear
> > under the drop down menu for Input Device.
>

> Under that drop down menu I have:
>
>    ALSA
>    JACK
>    none
>

> > I think this is the first thing to establish - is your device
> showing
> > up
> > in that drop down menu? (Clean, freshly booted machine with device
> > plugged in).
>

> Doesn't look like it - no sign of PortMidi - there is only
> "PortAudio"
> in the Audio Backend.  I installed portmidi-tools and ran pmdefaults:
> when I select the keyboard as input I can see responses on the
> virtual
> LED when I press keys (but I knew this was working anyway - it is
> only
> getting the input into Denemo that is a problem).

There are two panels, one Audio Backend then below it MIDI backend.
I think perhaps you looked under the Input Device of the Audio Backend.
But this already shows a difference from what I see - you have no
PortAudio option (which I have) and you *do* have ALSA and JACK options
which I don't have.
I don't know too much about it, but my guess is that this isn't the
plain vanilla build but one with JACK and ALSA enabled and PortAudio
disabled. IIRC it is Edgar Aichinger who builds for Fedora.
You could try the binary - this you can install without root permissions
 http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-1.1.0-0.linux-x86

I'm not able to run this myself, but I believe it works fine on other
distros.