Re: [Denemo-devel] make dist failing

From: Paul Brossier
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] make dist failing
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:59:02 -0400

On 01/29/2014 01:12 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 12:41 -0400, Paul Brossier wrote:
>> [...]
>>> "waf" yielded no hits when I looked for a package to install on
>>> my (Debian stable) distro. So I guessed I couldn't build the new
>>>  aubio. But this may just be my misunderstanding of what's
>>> involved.
>>
>> for awkward reasons, waf is not packaged in debian anymore. but
>> you don't need to install it, it is included in the aubio source
>> tarball. you can just run './waf configure' from the top
>> directory.
>
> hmm, yes I thought it might be just a misunderstanding of mine. I
> would only want to install it locally (as user not super user)
> though.

you can use either  './waf configure --prefix /tmp/opt-aubio' or './waf
install --destdir=/tmp/dist-aubio'. I usually use the second option,
then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, CFLAGS, and co accordingly.

>> also, aubio 0.4.0 is already unstable in debian, so you could use
>> 'apt-get source aubio' and 'sudo apt-get build-deps aubio'
>
> that needs root permissions I guess...

sure it does.

>> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/aubio
>>
>>> Incidentally, I couldn't navigate to the aubio mailing list
>>> https://lists.aubio.org/ (I got an "Untrusted Website" page, with
>>> no way forward),
>>
>> arg. the certificate is self-signed, but you should be able to ask
>>  your browser to proceed anyway.
>
> Yes, that is what I expected - a Proceed Anyway, but there wasn't an
> obvious route on - perhaps the Add Exception would have done it, but
> the browser seemed very disapproving :) Is this just because of https
> instead of http?

yes. passwords can be set through the web interface, so I force https.

>>> hence the message I left on the announcement page.
>>
>> sorry, where did you leave a message?
>
> There is a place for feedback on the News -> announcement of 0.4.0
> -> view/add comments,  so I left the feedback there - it was just
> asking for guidance on the upgrade path.

my bad, somehow i didn't get a mail for that comment.

>>> Thanks for the prompt reply - glad to hear about the
>>> development. It'll be interesting to see how the new code works
>>> with that demo of the note onset detection
>>> https://vimeo.com/82292569)
>>
>> wow, i'm downloading the video now (low bandwidth), but sounds
>> great!
>>
>> the performance of the onset detection should change only little.
>> one important change is that the onset timestamps are not quantized
>> to hop_size anymore, but given in samples.
>
> The onset detection code in src/sourceaudio.c is just cloned from
> your onset example (and, likewise, but several years earlier the
> pitch detection in src/pitchrecog.c was cloned from your example
> code).

i updated src/sourceaudio.c using the new aubio_onset_t. it simplifies
the code quite a bit. i will do the same for pitchrecog.c now.

i deleted the #ifndef G_OS_WIN32/#endif. if deleting any aubio object
causes a crash on windows, aubio should be fixed.

another thing: is multichannel processing needed, or should the input be
downmixed instead (I would vote for the second option)?

also, I see that sndfile is used for reading the file. we could use
aubio_source_t instead, so that compressed files (mp3 et all) could also
be open by denemo (using libav on unix/windows systems, and natively on
mac osx).

cheers, Paul