Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo fails to start

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo fails to start
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:23:59 +0100

I think it would be very useful to check that this is due to your new
hardware and not due to any recent changes in Denemo.
Can you experiment with, say, Denemo 1.1.2 or whatever?
The only recent change that could be relevant is to the mutex unlocks,
and I see some messages about that. However, my suspicion is that what
you have uncovered is that Denemo does not handle preferences for
hardware well - assuming that earlier versions of Denemo behave the same
as current master then it will be useful to keep a record of what
preferences for audio and midi are being stored
in .denemo-1.1.9/denemorc
to do this, instead of removing the entire .denemo-1.1.9 tree, just
remove individual lines in denemorc - you can delete any line e.g.

    <audio_driver>portaudio</audio_driver>
    <midi_driver>portmidi</midi_driver>
    <portaudio_device>ALSA: default</portaudio_device>
    <portaudio_sample_rate>44100</portaudio_sample_rate>
    <portaudio_period_size>256</portaudio_period_size>
    <portmidi_input_device>ALSA: USB Keystation 49e MIDI
1</portmidi_input_device>
    <portmidi_output_device>default</portmidi_output_device>

if you can identify which one(s) prevent startup, and what they get
replaced with on successful startup that could well pinpoint the
problem. I notice there is a preference
<startmidiin>1</startmidiin>
which presumably relates to automatically trying to connect to a midi
controller - I guess without it you could change preferences first and
then start MIDI in. There is a drop down list of MIDI controllers to
choose from in the preferences...

I often see a problem with exiting Denemo - it hangs in something called
pthread_join, and I (always) have a problem if I have left Denemo
running while the machine is suspended - Denemo works fine but the MIDI
hardware has ceased to be connected properly and portmidi hangs on
exiting Denemo.

HTH

Richard