Re: [dev-serveez] init scripts

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] init scripts
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:37:30 +0100 (CET)

hi!

i made a 5 min draft of the serveez init script. i still have some
questions.

- where to put it in serveez cvs ? data/init.serveez ?
- create data/init.serveez.in and substitute the serveez path in it ?

> > - where to get the configuration from ? /etc/serveez.conf ?
> Yes, `/etc/serveez.conf' is ok. We can set cfg="/etc/serveez.conf"...

it's okay for the "normal" serveez to read a local cfg file.

> > - where to write the log to /var/log/serveez ? /var/tmp ?
> log="/var/log/serveez.log"
> pid="/var/log/serveez.pid"

i changed that to /var/run/serveez.pid since that's where the other
programs have the pid files.

> > - make it suse style ? optionally ?
> >   (colors, rc.config support, etc.)
> Suse style would be nice to have. I actually do not know about other
> distribution of Linux and their init scripts.

i think, i dont like suse style anymore. creates some problems with other
distributions (when no rc.config is available). a discussion on a
different mailing list made me realize this.

here is the (untested, since i am lazy and it's late) script:
---[snip]---
#! /bin/sh

CFGFILE=/etc/serveez.cfg
LOGFILE=/var/log/serveez.log
PIDFILE=/var/run/serveez.pid
SERVEEZ=/sbin/serveez
VERBOSITY=0

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo "Starting serveez"
        ${SERVEEZ} -f ${CFGFILE} -l ${LOGFILE} -v ${VERBOSITY} &
        echo $? > ${PIDFILE}
    ;;
    stop)
        echo "Stopping serveez"
        PID=`/bin/cat ${PIDFILE} 2>/dev/null`
        if [ "${PID}" = "" ]; then
            echo "$0: No pid file for ${SERVEEZ}"
            exit 1
        fi
        kill -TERM ${PID}
        /bin/rm "${PIDFILE}"
    ;;
    restart|reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload}"
        exit 1
    ;;
esac
exit 0