Re: [dev-serveez] progress to serveez-0.2

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] progress to serveez-0.2
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:58:48 +0200

On 06/15/2012 11:25 PM, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

Hello, folks!

Since I totally lost track of all the branches, we have the following
situation:

serveez master ("current" 0.1.7)

\-- serveez next (TTNs work with cleanup etc)
\-- serveez-mg
\-- Julian's stuff

After Julians comment, I had a look at both repositories and have to draw this picture:

[serveez cvs]
 \--- [serveez master] --- [serveez next]
 \--- [serveez-mg]

Which means:

[serveez-mg] was not branched off the "official serveez git" but from the last CVS version.

[serveez master] master was also branched off the last CVS version. [serveez next] developed from there.

Unfortunately, this means that some obvious cleanup-actions have been made by both Mike and TTN, but in a git-incompatible way.

This also means that both serveez versions do not share a common git history which does not help, either.

FYI: This is an experiment from .git/config

[...]
[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/serveez.git
[remote "mg"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/mg/*
        url = https://github.com/spk121/serveez-mg.git
[...]

...which would allow me to "git merge mg/master" if that worked. But after a "git fetch mg" you have both repositories at your local disposal.

Also, Mike has removed stuff that TTN has kept (and I would like to keep, too). And both have mangled *.am and the autotools stuff.

And finally: Due to Mike adding his (C)-Strings and TTN changing the License just about everything is being touched and in conflict. This is definitly no fun and no semi-automatic merge :)

So here is a possible solution: $someone looks at all of Mike's 123 commits [0] and decides what is being manually (!) applied to serveez. During that process $someone also has to keep in mind, what the core of Mike's work is. IMHO:
- guile 2.0 compatibility
- autotools stuff (?)
...and what not to keep, IMHO:
- removal of windoze stuff
- removal of servers
(with the notable exception of awcs-server, which has to die)

While I'm writing this, I just realized, that there is a mg/guil-2.0 branch [1] which has only 20 commits and is not merged into master. Perhaps it's enough to manual-merge/apply this stuff into serveez-next?

Mike, TTN, Julian: Would it be enough to merge/apply changes from mg's "guile-2.0" and "gc-malloc" branches into serveez "next" branch?

Mike: If that is not enough: Can you point out, which of your commits are vital? Perhaps cherrypick/rebase them in your repository so that $someone can manual-merge/apply them over to serveez?

Greetings,

        Raimund

[0] https://github.com/spk121/serveez-mg/commits/master
[1] https://github.com/spk121/serveez-mg/commits/guile-2.0

PS: I also just realized that there is no guile 2.0 in Debian stable which makes me sad. Perhaps the next Debian release can contain both a current guile and a current serveez.

PPS: Thanks a lot for all of your work!