Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Port Error

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Port Error
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:41:43 +0100

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:18:30AM -0500, Robert Roberts wrote:
> I ran test_vmcircbuf.exe  several times and each time I get the same
> results, shown below.
>
> Testing gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping_factory...
> gr_vmcircbuf_mmap_createfilemapping: non contiguous mmap 003F0000
> 003F0000 00010000 00400000

Ah! looking at gnuradio-core/src/lib/runtime/gr_vmcircbuf_createfilemapping.cc
one can see your Windows XP is trying to outsmart us!
How can it be? Well, the code trys to make 2 (different) mappings of
the same offset inside paging file. It looks like the OS ignores
the last argument of MapViewOfFileEx, which is the desired virtual
address of the mapping. Instead of giving a brand new address (which
could have been non-contiguous when last argument of MapViewOfFileEx
is ignored), the OS returns the very same virtual address of the
first mapping, which has same offset. That's smart, but that's not
what we want!

So, to sumarise, the machine has a 64-bit CPU (Opteron) with a bunch of
RAM (>2GB), and a 32-bit OS, Windows XP SP2. Does anyone else on the list
encountered the same problem under Windows? More important, does anyone
with a similar machine (Opteron+Windows XP SP2) managed to get GNU Radio
to work?

I have no clue on how to fix this. Can somebody help? Would someone
familiar with Windows support forums be keen to ask why MapViewOfFileEx
does not work as expected, and what alternative we have?

--
Stephane