RE: ANNOUNCE: Request For Proposals

From: Mondragon, Ian
Subject: RE: ANNOUNCE: Request For Proposals
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:34:10 -0500

some good ideas, some serious flame bait <grin>.  while debian may be "the
GNU distribution", i can't say that focusing on tying GNUstep into a
particular linux distro is something that i would support myself.
especially since i haven't run _any_ linux distribution in a looooong time
(freebsd has been my OS of choice for years).  i think transparency accross
OS's would be better for the cause than some whispered, distro-centric,
elitist attitude.

as far as the "cool demos" go: i'd rather see everyone (including myself)
devote thier time to producing high-quality, full-featured applications
worthy of real-world use than some chinsey little demoes to make people say,
"wow.  this looks nice.  too bad there's nothing i can really use."  my
GNUstep window manager has fallen so far behind my own expectations that i
hesitate to even bring it up in this discussion, but i've been trying to
finish up my address book application (which will follow Palm's basic
contact structure and therefore, with relative ease, be compatable with Palm
records).  GNUMail.app has been coming along so nicely that it puts most
everything else out there in the GNUstep world to shame (three cheers for
Ludovic!).  GWorkspace has been sweet for some time now.  i say down with
the demos.  what we all need more than anything (even more than
ProjectCenter <gasp!>) is __GORM__.  the most irritating thing about coding
GNUstep apps is manually creating the GUIs.  i don't care what anybody says
- no matter how much simpler it is compared to any other kit out there, if
you're used to InterfaceBuilder (as i am), it's an overbearing pain in the
ass to build everything by hand.  and once we have Gorm working on a plane
of relative stability (it's getting there), you'll see GNUstep apps coming
out of the woodwork.

  i think i'll hold off on the emacs-esque GNUstep editor you mentioned ;-)

just my 2.5 cents.

- ian mondragon