Re: More on moving #gnustep and co away from Freenode

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: More on moving #gnustep and co away from Freenode
Date: 24 Feb 2005 16:02:11 GMT

Robert Burns <altivec87@cox.net> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> >Robert Burns <altivec87@cox.net> wrote:
> >>Just wanted to say that I am totally against moving away from Freenode.
> >>It's still a very well-run network, in spite of lilo's occasional bullshit.
> >How are you judging well-run?
> All I know is that whenever I log onto Freenode, I never experience any
> situations that prevent me from effectively using the network.

OK, so as far as you have seen, it doesn't have technical problems?
Personally, I think all IRC networks have technical problems at some
point, but some of Freenode's have been self-inflicted.

> If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What we have does the job just fine -
> why move away for ideological reasons? That's just silly when you're
> trying to get any kind of serious work done.

Ideological reasons? I thought that the original suggestion was because
the opers blanket banned Tor proxies that some use to connect.

Myself, I suggest moving away for practical reasons: the opers are
accountable to no-one and stomp on dissent. While you can say "they
run the servers, it's up to them" it's also up to users where they
want to go. Use of irc.oftc.net#gnustep seems up recently.

> I don't like the idea of change in general. It's bound to hurt the
> volume of traffic in the channel.

OK, I can appreciate that as a reason.

--
MJR/slef