Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:33:41 -0400

Am 03.08.2007 um 08:03 schrieb Fabien VALLON:

On Fri, August 3, 2007 1:30 pm, hns@computer.org wrote:

I have an offer for you: there is mySTEP/QuantumSTEP which is sort of
a playground version of GNUstep to run on embedded devices - and - has the aim to be compatible to 10.4 (and 10.5 as soon as it is official).

Do you have WebKit,

You can add full WebKit it if you want. It is open source.

We are working on SWK, a simplified but API compatible framework.

CoreAudio, CoreImage, CoreFoundation,

No. These are not really part of Cocoa. But there are substitutes.

WebKit,
NSToolbar,

Yes.

NSDrawers,

I think so.

NSPDF* etc ....

I think so.

Can I build it without XCode ?

make?

It already has an implementation of -openURL: (which was the original
topic):
http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/mySTEP/AppKit/Sources/ NSWorkspace.m

So, please help Fred to implant that in the official GNUstep project
instead of complaining that GNUstep is 5 years behind...

It seems you don't undersand what I mean:
I said "Congrats *to not give up*" ( thanks alexander Malmberg & all
others https://gna.org/project/memberlist.php?group=gnustep )

Well, I think I understand - you do not want to help :-)

What is the future of GNUstep ?

Good question... I have not seen an answer myself.

Do you think that fred + 5 developpers can reach Cocoa compatibility ?

Yes. Why not? It is not magic, just effort.

And what for ? Simple copy Cocoa ?  Can we port Adium or other big app
with only Cocoa without too much work ( the answer is NO ) ?

Yes. If the application really uses Cocoa only. But I see the tendency that Mac OSS developers start to mix everything. They mix CFRelease(obj) and [obj release] etc.

This is my opinion but I still think that GNUstep goes in no way ( and it
make me angry :)

I agree, that it has no roadmap and no target.