Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:49:06 -0400

Am 03.08.2007 um 09:28 schrieb Fabien VALLON:

hi

On Fri, August 3, 2007 2:33 pm, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

Do you have WebKit,

CoreAudio, CoreImage, CoreFoundation,

No. These are not really part of Cocoa. But there are substitutes.

Where ?

I don't know exactly but there are image and audio frameworks. And someone was working
on a CoreFoundation wrapper for base.

WebKit,
NSToolbar,

Yes.

I downloaded http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/
mySTEP-src-2.3B189.tgz

grep -r "setDisplayMode" *
grep  -r "setSelectedItemIdentifier" *
( nothing )

I have not said that all these 10.4 methods are already implemented in mySTEP. Sometimes GNUstep is ahead.. Look for NSToolbar in GNUstep. This is the reason why it would be good if we get help to integrate the latest things into mainstream GNUstep.

NSPDF* etc ....

I think so.

Can not find it.

There is a PDF framework for GNUstep.

And NSPDFImageRepresentation is here:

Can I build it without XCode ?

make?

Mmmm. I think I downloaded the wrong code ? isn't it ?

I think you asked about GNUstep?

My point is that mySTEP already implements some of the newer 10.4 methods and GNUstep just waits for help to integrate it. This does not mean that mySTEP can and will solve all requirements.

What is the future of GNUstep ?

Good question... I have not seen an answer myself.

Do you think that fred + 5 developpers can reach Cocoa compatibility ?

Yes. Why not? It is not magic, just effort.

Ha ha ok, we will stop this discussion :)

Yes, and roll up our sleeves and start to work...

And what for ? Simple copy Cocoa ? Can we port Adium or other big app
with only Cocoa without too much work ( the answer is NO ) ?

Yes. If the application really uses Cocoa only. But I see the
tendency that
Mac OSS developers start to mix everything. They mix CFRelease(obj)
and [obj release] etc.

If it is so easy why porting is so hard ? :
some ex: Adium/Pixen/Shiira Web Browser ...

I don't know what these programs are doing and how well they are coded.

What are the specific issues when you try to port them?

If something is missing, then GNUstep can add. This is the great benefit of OSS, isn't it?

I agree, that it has no roadmap and no target.

ok. so we are agree :)

Gregory already has sent us the link... Now we know better.

Nikolaus