Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:24:05 +0200

Hi,

I agree on them all.
On 09/12/13 12:03, David Chisnall wrote:

I think we have several categories of potential GNUstep-users:

1) People who like the idea of Free Software, but use a Mac because it's easier
for them.  They want to write code on OS X, but they'd quite like it to work on
other platforms too.

2) Commercial developers, who have an Apple-only app, but would like it to run
on Windows / Android if it were a low-cost port, but don't want to invest much
effort in it.  Some may want to just ensure that it works, even if they have no
intention of releasing it, so if Apple releases a clone of their flagship
product as part of their standard install they have a fallback position.

3) Apple / NeXT refugees, who liked the platform once but don't like where it's
gone and want to build something that starts from the same roots but goes in a
different direction

4) Developers who have had little or no experience with Apple or NeXT, but like
the structure of OpenStep and Objective-C

5) Developers who are using Apple on the client and want to use the same skills
on the server

6) Developers who are writing for *NIX using some other framework and want
something better

It's important to consider all of these.
Let me add:
3-bis) refugees from overblown Windows 8, Gnome, KDE, 10.9... that seek a more professional, cleaner, ligher environment targeted for Workstation usage and not just latest gizmo, but have no "next roots" and just look around

3-bis) is interesting, I have written with several of them. They are actually attracted by our look&feel (more or less) and by our internal structure (thus similar to 4) ). But they expect the same level of polish, stability form the systems they come from... and clash on GNUstep

I took the freedom to number your points. They are all valid and GNUstep is catering to all of those. We usually stress 2) a lot and think that 3) is hindering us. But of course, there is a lot of work that can be done together.
New APIS are good for everybody.. both "porters" and "developers".

I add that often I'm part of category 1) just because it is easier to work on Mac :) things improved a bit, but I still often develop with two computers on the desk. Mac + GNUstep

The kickstarter generated some publicty and I I was astonished to read about all different potential users, not just 2) and 3).

Riccardo