Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doug Simons
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:30:38 -0600

On Sep 12, 2013, at 4:03 AM, David Chisnall wrote:

> We could almost certainly provide them with an automated tool that they can
> run on their codebase that would give them a pretty clear idea of the OS X
> APIs that they use.  Actually, providing such a tool with the ability to
> produce a report against the current version of GNUstep showing what is
> missing would be very helpful for a lot of projects.

If such a tool could be produced, I think it would be a tremendous asset for
GNUstep. I suspect there are plenty of developers of applications for OS X who
would be interested in porting to GNUstep but are put off by the daunting task
involved in making the effort, especially knowing that there are almost
certainly some things missing but not knowing how extensive those gaps might be.

If there was an easy way for a developer to analyze their code and compare its
requirements to what's already working in GNUstep, it would help enormously.
First, they might see that there are only a few methods or small classes
missing in GNUstep that they require. If it's a small number they might decide
to implement those pieces themselves. Or someone in the GNUstep community might
decide to implement them. The OS X developer might also check back occasionally
to see how things are progressing relative to their specific needs, if it was
easy to do.

If the tool were implemented in such a way that the information could be shared
with the GNUstep developers (such as making it submit each application profile
to an online app for comparison against the current code) it would provide some
incredibly valuable information about which API's are used most. This would not
only help focus development efforts on the missing pieces, but also possibly on
optimizing the existing parts based on their level of use.

This would primarily help to target the "Commercial developers, who have an
Apple-only app" users. But I think if that group is helped it will likely go a
long way toward what other users need as well. And it may help draw in more
commercial developers to contribute to GNUstep.

On a related note, I think the idea of taking a pragmatic approach to
implementation (focusing on the methods and classes that are used and needed,
rather than striving for a complete implementation of any particular 10.x
release) makes good sense, to produce the most valuable results with the effort
available.

Cheers,

Doug