Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:54:58 +0000

I gave a talk last week with a demo and I used the Narcissus theme.  Someone
else in the audience commented that they'd implemented something similar, but
'it was in tk so it looked ugly'.  It was the first time I'd given a talk
involving GNUstep and:

- Not felt I had to apologise for the appearance
- Not had anyone comment negatively on the appearance
- Had someone compare the appearance positively to something els

So huge amounts of thanks to Eric for making a polished theme that actually
looks nice and works well.

We still have some issues with theming though.  In the app I demoed, I have
some quite ugly code for selecting a shade of green that is visible on a scroll
view.  The default theme has a dark background, Nesedah and Narcissus have a
white background, so the default [NSColor greenColor], which is very bright, is
visible on the default theme but completely invisible with themes.  It would be
nice to have a simple standard way of getting default NSColor values that
worked on the themes.  I wonder if there's any code that depends on greenColor
actually being 0,ff,0 - if not, then just having the theme define greenColor
(and redColor and so on) as darker shades would probably be sensible.

David