dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Freport Update

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Auth]Freport Update
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:48:58 -0500

My own opinion, quite honestly, is that IDsec should be one of several solutions we examine and make use of. I believe IDsec does, even if, as some feel, justifiably, very marginally or conditionally, meet our goals. Certainly the question was never mearly to provide an alternative or an alternative that simply is outside the scope of control of one vendor, but one that, as ?John? very correctly points out here points here, meets our philosophical goals, the most important being to protect user's privacy and security. Could IDsec be better in this respect? Perhaps. Could something else possibly do this in a manner more consistant with our goals? That is certainly possible. It is also possible that IDsec can still be further improved in ways that unconditionally meet our goals. While IDsec is certainly not perfect, it is useful, and I think worthy of use. Freport is also very much worth considering, and I would like to see that and other projects that wish to try and meet our goals in full continue as well.

Hans Zandbelt wrote:

gain endorsement? Or as I phrased it originally, "do we go with code
that's out there (ID-Sec, which provably misses on one requirement or
another) or do we stick by our philosophical guns (and insist that
projects meet the requirements)?"

???

Which one would be missing now considering the local Profile Manager?
I think we just concluded that it must be possible to create a local
Profile Manager client library; after all you use a similar concept
for Freport. I really don't see the difference here.

But I also want to get back to the IDsec remote Profile Manager:
I think the issues of trust that you see can equally be applied
to the party where someone would download/purchase/get/retrieve
the Freport sofware!

I'd say that this party is a good party for being a remote Profile
Manager, just as David stated.

And I can go on about assumptions and issues of trust that are not
IDsec specific:
- you trust the internet service provider that you use
 to send out the Freport announcements, software and updates.
- you trust the e-mail software that you use to mail
 about Freport.
- you trust the creator of the compiler that you use
 to compile the Freport software.
- you trust the creator of the encryption techniques
 that you use in Freport.
- you trust the DotGNU auth mailing list maintainer and the
 software

As you can see there is always a trusted third party problem, and
a trusted communication channel problem even for a local Profile
Management system like Freport.

Can we agree that this is not an IDsec specific flaw?
Or does anyone have any new arguments?

If we agree I would like to take a look at Freport so we can align
Freport with the IDsec local Profile Manager API and hopefully
even combined with the Liberty Guardian.

Hans.

PS: the IDsec implementation as it exists is no threat to the DotGNU
   auth system initial requirements or Freport; it is focussed
   on remote Profile Management although non-average users can use it
   for local Profile Management