dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Freport Update

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Freport Update
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:21:16 +0100

John <address@hidden> replied:

> all if not most of the requirements that were set forth early on
> discussed and iterated by the DotGNU participants. He didn't meet those
> requirements and therefore; there should be no endorsement.

There has been discussion of what we'd like auth systems to be
like, but there hasn't yet been any decision made about a list
of requirements beyond the obvious ones that it must be GPL'd
Free Software, all its dependencies must be GPL-compatible Free
Software, and there must be a maintainer or team of maintainers
willing to abide by GNU policy.

> Or as I phrased it originally, "do we go with code that's out
> there (ID-Sec, which provably misses on one requirement or
> another) or do we stick by our philosophical guns (and insist
> that projects meet the requirements)?"

What if we say that we will accept only auth projects that fulfil
extrely strict requirements of privacy protection, and then there
is only one development project which meets those strict
requirements and it fails to deliver a usable system quickly
enough?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member