[DotGNU]Licensing question.

From: Raven
Subject: [DotGNU]Licensing question.
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:08:28 +0200

Hello.
I'm not sure whether this mailing list is a good place to ask this question, but anyway, i'll give it a try.

1. On DotGNU homepage ( there is the following statement:
As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice, provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module, the terms and conditions of the license of that module. An independent module is a module which is not derived from or based on this library.(...)
2. Consider the following scenario:
I've written a toolkit/framework and an application based on that framework. Both are written in C#. They use .NET services like "System.Drawing", "System.Windows.Forms" etc.
3. My question is: if I use DotGNU to make my toolkit/framework and my application work under Linux, do they fall in the category of the above-mentioned "independent module" ?? Can I freely use dotGNU to adapt {Windows/.NET closed-source, commercial applications} to run under Linux??? Are there any limitations??

Answer to this question is very important for me and my development team... so please give a reply or redirect me to another place where I could ask my question.

TIA.

Regards

qs-raven (qs-ravenATwpDOTpl)