Re: [DotGNU]Licensing question.

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Licensing question.
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:45:42 +1000

On Sunday 17 October 2004 05:08 am, Raven wrote:

> 3. My question is: if I use
> DotGNU to make my toolkit/framework and my application work under Linux, do
> they fall in the category of the above-mentioned "independent module" ??
> Can I freely use dotGNU to adapt {Windows/.NET closed-source, commercial
> applications} to run under Linux??? Are there any limitations??

Yes, you can do whatever you like with your own code.  The linking exception
causes the GPL to only extend to the C# library's API boundaries and then
stop there.  That was the reason for us choosing "GPL plus linking
exception".

If you redistribute pnet with your app, so that Linux users can run it, then
you will need to obey the GPL for the pnet parts, of course.  Also, if you
make any modifications to pnet to make your app run better, you will need to
redistribute the source for those modifications (easiest is to send us a
patch for general inclusion).  But do whatever you want with your framework
library and application code.

Cheers,

Rhys.