dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Questions about dvdrecording

From: David M . Rodal
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Questions about dvdrecording
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:13:26 -0400

I found this in the nick of time.
We want to start doing remote backup of customers and burn the data
onto dvd's. I want to know how usable is the software.

If I run redhat linux 7.2 and install the RPM
and buy a pioneer DVR-AO3 and plug it in.

will I be able to burn my (backup) data onto DVD'S without too much problems. (I ask this because in the readme they say writing data is on the todo list..)

Will I be able to read that data from ANY dvd capable machine (like a apple G4 power book
that comes with a dvd player)

The Pioneer DVR-AO3 appears to be an IDE-EIDE device,
the dvdrecord manpage seem to talk a lot about scsi, am I missing something
or is that just for supporting other type of DVD burners.

What about media, will this thing burn those disks like I rent movies on.
Or will it burn those funny closed box (like a giant floppy disk) DVD-RAM disks that
my wife has in her old Apple G4 tower.

Hardware, I heard something about the pioneer only being able to burn 4.7 Gig of data, Do newer devices burn slightly more? If so what hardware should I buy? I want
to have as painless an experience as possible, so what hardware has been
used a lot by people on the group. Any suggestions?

I would very much like to avoid giving any money to M$ and
just use linux in our company. But I need to know how
much trouble this will involve.

Do I just install the hardware, on Redhat LInux 7.2, load the dvdrecord rpm, learn the
manpage and go, or will I have to build a kernel.

Also, We have a MP box that gave us a little problems when we first installed linux. Does this thing work with MP machines? Anyone have any experiance using MP's?
How about the AMD MP's (our is just that, two 1.9 GHZ processors).

Sorry if these have all been asked in other places, I just want to run out and get the
burner as I type. Cause I don't want to have to <gag> relearn Win2k

Thanks for listening

David Rodal