dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DRU-500A

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DRU-500A
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:29:07 -0500

I know this is slightly off topic, but please forgive me.  It's also
slightly ON topic.

I've got a Sony DRU-500A drive in an HP-UX 10.20 system, and I'm trying
to figure out how to perform data backups with it.  I'm quite new at
this whole DVD thing.  I've gotten past the basic hardware setups; using
an IDE-to-SCSI converter, I'm able to get the operating system to see
the drive as a SCSI CD drive.  I've successfully written a CD-R using it,
with dvdrtools (0.1.2).

Right now, the only writable DVD media I have are DVD+R and DVD+RW.
(I told the department secretary to get me "some of everything", and I
was *really* hoping some DVD-R and -RW would be in the batch, but alas
they were not -- so I will have to wait to get the -R and -RW media.)
As far as I can determine, dvd+rw-tools will not compile on ANYTHING
other than Linux.

Is there any conceivable way to write to a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc with
any free software on a non-Linux system?  Or should I go back into my
cave and wait another 2-3 weeks for a $10 media order to get processed
by the bureaucracy?

I absolutely do *not* need any fancy features at this time.  If I could
just treat the DVD as a round, flat tape and spew a stream of bytes onto
it, then read them back, I'd be content.  If I could write an ISO 9660
file system with Rock Ridge, I'd be ecstatic.