dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DRU-500A

From: Jussi-Pekka Sairanen
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DRU-500A
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:54:32 -0800

Jeffrey A. Zelt wrote:

I have had the role of resident Linux "expert" thrust upon me at our
company.  In reality I have barely been able to keep my head above water.

I have been given the task of getting a Sony DRU-500A unit to burn and
re-write DVD's with RedHat Linux 7.3.  I have three questions:

1. Does anyone know if the Sony DRU-500A is supported by Dvdrtools for
writing and re-writing DVD disks under RedHat 7.3?
Last time I tried it didn't work. For DVD+R(W) I've used dvd+rw-tools

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW

New version (supposedly coming soon) should support DVD-R(W)s too. In the mean time, I've used cdrecord-ProDVD.

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

Its usage is a bit clumsy (expiration time, encryption keys, wrapper script, intentionally low burning speed...) but it works. I'm not exactly sure why it is so restricted, seems like it would be a commercial application with a free trial version but I haven't found how I could purchase the real one.

With CD-R(W)s I've used gcombust which is a front-end to cdrecord.

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

Everything's worked perfectly for me so far. I've tried with e.g. Memorex DVD+R, TDK DVD-R, Maxell DVD-RW, Sony DVD+RW, Pioneer CD-R and no-name-cheapo DVD-R disks from Surplus Computers. So far, no coasters. (ok, maybe one when I accidentally started formatting a DVD+R disk).

Jussi-Pekka

2.  If the first answer was yes, then how can this be done?  Please don't
ask me to compile a driver or kernel unless you give me complete
instructions.  I can follow instructions as well as anyone, so feel free
to just point me to a URL if all the info is there.  If not, I would
appreciate it if someone would outline the details of how to set up
support for a Sony DRU-500A under RedHat Linux 7.3.

3.  Is there a *better* way to support a Sony DRU-500A than Dvdrtools?  If
so, how? (OK, *four* questions)

Many thanks in advance to any brave individual who is prepared to take on
this request.  If this request is not appropriate for this list, please
tell me (politely).

Jeff