dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:13:34 +0200

On 2010-08-09 21:26, U Avalos wrote:
> Hi all. I am creating a hi-quality PDF by using Princexml to convert an HTML
> file (w/ LaTeX fragments) to a PDF. However, while the quality of the LaTex
> fragments created with dvipng look good on the computer screen, they do not
> *print* well. I tried increasing the output resolution (D switch). However,
> all that does is increase the pixel count---the images still appear pixelated
> and not smooth.

This is because they are pixelated, and intended for no other purpose
than screen output.

> Is there a way to make the images more smooth? I tried using the Q switch (-Q
> 1 and -Q 10) but that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm using dvipng 1.12.

If your dvipng uses FreeType, the -Q switch does nothing. The -Q switch
controls the quality of the old PK fonts.

> Perhaps I should be using something else to create the LaTeX images?

Yes. I'd suggest making PDF snippets out of them and include those in
the PDF at the appropriate places.

Best of luck
/JÅ