dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:34:15 +0200

U Avalos skrev 08/10/2010 03:21 PM:
> However, I'm not really a LaTeX person. How would I go about making PDF
> fragments?

Since I usually produce PDFs through dvips->ps2pdf I am probably not the
best person to answer this. I'd assume producing single-page EPS files
and shoving them through eps2pdf?

> FYI, I'm in an emacs environment---I type in org-mode (a text file,
> basically), then emacs takes care of exporting embedded LaTeX fragments to
> PNGs (using a hack of the preview-latex package, I believe).

A (suboptimal) solution would be to produce high-resolution PNGs
(-D 1200) and shrink them to the appropriate size. This would probably
look terrible onscreen but better on the printer. I don't know enough
details about the surrounding system you use to be more specific.

> Also, FYI. Just a hunch but it appears that dvipng may now be used for other
> purposes other than quick-and-dirty previews in emacs. (Ex: dvipng's own
> webpage says that it's used in wikipedia). It may be time to add an option
> for smooth images... or maybe another program can easily provide the same
> functionality...

I wrote that. And part of the WikiMedia code. Problem is, PNGs are pixel
images, there is just no way around that. The solution would be to use a
vector-based format.

Best
/JÅ