dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?

From: U Avalos
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] Higher quality (smooth) PNGs?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:53:38 -0400

For reference (for anyone stumbling upon this thread), I stumbled upon a
solution using dvips and imagemagick:

(1) Convert the dvi to a ps: dvips -E <dvifile>
(2) Convert the ps to a PNG: convert -density 300 -resample 300 <psfile>
<pngfile>.PNG

While the resulting images are too large on the screen, they *print* out just
fine (which is the goal)---about 12 pt tall and very smooth. The print quality
is much better than dvipng. Of course, the conversion process is much slower
(for print, we don't really care about speed so that's OK).

Unfortunately, I'm at a loss to explain why this method works so I don't know
if it can be improved...