Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:24:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> One reason that I asked was that, in anticipation for what you did, I added
> to Emacs 8859-8 tables the information about the diacriticals and
> directional formatting codes, taken from SI1311-2, in those slots which
> 8859-8 leaves undefined.  And another Emacs maintainer just asked me what
> was the rationale for adding codepoints that aren't in iso8859.

I've seen them yes.

> Btw, I heard that Israel's SI intends to submit a proposal to ISO to
> include those codepoints in iso8859.  Is that true?

I heard so too but you might want to ask Jonathan Rosenne.

> If you have a Unicode font installed that covers the Hebrew characters, and
> if you get the latest CVS sources of Emacs (by anon CVS access to the
> development tree), then you should be able to use the Unicode Hebrew
> characters out of the box.  No work required, just turn on a couple of
> minor modes that make it possible.

I have some Unicode fonts, for the time being I', CVS-challenged :-)

But the major thing I don't like in the "Unicode is just an additional
charset" approach is the oddities it causes. In particular,
mule-unicode-0100-24ff is splitting the Hebrew segment into two
pages. So you can't "run" over the characters without encountering
"invalid characters" (Just like EBCDIC).