Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:56:34 +0200

Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> But the major thing I don't like in the "Unicode is just an additional
> charset" approach is the oddities it causes. In particular,
> mule-unicode-0100-24ff is splitting the Hebrew segment into two
> pages.

If by ``two pages'' you mean the mule-unicode-0100-24ff vs hebrew-iso8859
characters, then turning on the unify-on-decode and unify-on-encode minor
modes (for now available only in the development sources in Emacs CVS)
should solve those problems for you.

I don't like the dichotomy either, but it's here whether we want it or not,
and some of the maintainers argue that it should stay, provided that we can
hide it from the users.