Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 19:54:30 +0200

> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 18:35:42 +0200
>
> I'd like to see something like (COMPOSITION) indicator when the cursor
> is (before) the composed character.

Isn't it better to have something more intuitive?  I'd imagine most
Hebrew users won't be aware that diacriticals are displayed via
compositions.

Perhaps we could print something in the echo area when the cursor is
on the character with diacriticals.  Like "{sheva} (not displayed)",
for example.

> Inline images aren't working in my emacs installations.

??? Don't you have Emacs 21?  If you do, you have images, at least of
the PBM and XBM types (more if you linked with optional image
libraries, as per INSTALL).

> but I'd expect some indication of the "missing" image like lynx
> does.

Well, the way inline images work in Emacs is that you put a special
text property on a chunk of text, and the image is then displayed
instead of that text.  I didn't try, but I'd expect the tty version to
display the text instead, so you have what Lynx does automagically.