Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:23:04 +0200

> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:59:27 -0600
> From: Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> An implementation technique I'd like to see is to simply use background
> color to indicate which weakly-directional characters in a bidi string
> have been reordered by the algorithm.  That way if I see e.g. >" with
> the "reordered-background-color" I can either do the rearrangement in my
> head or add a direction override.

I think the bad reordering in XHTML files is so blatantly obvious that
any reasonable person will see where the text needs overrides right
away.

That said, it shouldn't be hard to implement such a feature: one needs
to move through the displayed glyphs and look for discontinuities in
buffer position corresponding to the characters.  Then put an overlay
over characters thus detected.