Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:14:20 +0200

> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:04:18 +0900
> From: Martin Duerst <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  >2. When the created file is read (again) for editing, these strings
>  >   should be seen (on screen) EXACTLY as it was when it was entered.
>
> If using the same editor, definitely. But we also found that there
> can be some personal preferences, so if you changed your preferences,
> the display would change.

That's actually a bad idea, IMHO: the text should be saved so that any
other bidi-enabled editor will display it the same.  That is why
fiddling with Unicode character properties is something I feel we
should not do: those properties are the only common denominator of all
bidi editors.

I still don't understand why you are opposed to using RLM, LRM, and
other special characters reserved by Unicode: after all, if the result
is displayed by a bidi-compatible program, they will always behave
according to UAX#9.  (In XML and similar files, we could use HTML/XML
directives instead of the literal RLM etc. when saving the file, but
the principle remains the same: whenever the default character
properties yield wrong display, use the explicit directional marks to
fix that.)