Re: [emacs-bidi] missing fonts for bidi Emacs on cygwin

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] missing fonts for bidi Emacs on cygwin
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:29:41 +0900

Hello Kenichi,

On 2011/10/11 14:20, Kenichi Handa wrote:
In article<address@hidden>, "Martin J. Dürst"<address@hidden>  writes:

I installed m17n-db, m17n-lib, and libotf, as indicated in the INSTALL
file. I also installed intlfonts, afterwards. But that didn't help.
Maybe I should have installed intlfonts before?

No, intlfonts is not related to CTL (Complex Text Layout).

Good to know, thanks.

There are several details in INSTALL that could make things easier:

- Mention additional distribution files upfront. In particular people
who are not very good at English will read it slowly, and proceed as
they read the file.

- If possible, integrate these various packages with Emacs itself. There
may be copyright problems to not have things in the same repository, but
I don't see a problem with making them external libraries in the
repository so that they get downloaded automatically, and automating the
make process. If we say "Emacs does complex scripts." and "Emacs does
bidi.", then that should be the default, not some "additional
distribution files" option.

- For m17n-db, m17n-lib, and libotf, mention that they should be
installed in that order. Currently, it looks like they are independent,
which they aren't.

Ah, no, libotf should be installed first.  Otherwise,
m17n-lib doesn't utilize libotf, and thus provides very
limitted CTL support.  I'll fix INSTALL soon.

Thanks for this information. I'll try it again.

Also, the fact that for Emacs itself, the real information is in INSTALL, but for m17n-db, m17n-lib, and libotf, INSTALL had just some generic information, but very specific information (e.g. to run ./autogen.sh when downloading from cvs) was in README, was confusing.

It might be a good idea to add a sentence "Check README for specifics." after the sentence "These are generic installation instructions." in INSTALL.

- The section on intlfonts says "If you see a non-ASCII character appear
as a hollow box...". These days, characters with missing glyphs are
displayed as a box with a number, so the text should be adapted here, I
guess.

Right.

On the other hand, these work fine in the Windows version. The only
problem that I found in the Windows version is that U+30FC (Katakana
length mark) doesn't show (it's just a box with the number 30FC), even
though the rest of Japanese works well.

That's is a known problem.  Does the situation change when
you do C-x RET L Japanese RET?

No, sorry, it didn't change.

I'll work on this problem.

Many thanks in advance.