Re: [emacs-bidi] missing fonts for bidi Emacs on cygwin

From: Martin J. Dürst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] missing fonts for bidi Emacs on cygwin
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:31:12 +0900

On 2011/10/11 14:20, Kenichi Handa wrote:
In article<address@hidden>, "Martin J. Dürst"<address@hidden>  writes:

- For m17n-db, m17n-lib, and libotf, mention that they should be
installed in that order. Currently, it looks like they are independent,
which they aren't.

Ah, no, libotf should be installed first.  Otherwise,
m17n-lib doesn't utilize libotf, and thus provides very
limitted CTL support.  I'll fix INSTALL soon.

Currently working on this. Here are some additional comments:

- In m17n-db, in README, it talks about ./get-glibc.sh, and separately about ./bootstrap.sh and .configure. But when I run ./get-glibc.sh, I get told that I can now run make (and it looks as if ./configure is already done). So, both for the case of downloading from CVS and otherwise, what is the relationship between ./get-glibc.sh and ./bootstrap.sh and ./configure?

- In m17n-lib, in README, it says "Ubunto" when it probably should say "Ubuntu".

- In m17n-lib, in README, many additional libraries are required (libxml2, fribidi, freetype,...). It would be good if these were mentioned directly in the INSTALL file of Emacs, to get the full picture.

- In m17n-lib, for ./configure, I get the following error:
./configure: line 19740: syntax error near unexpected token `ANTHY,'
./configure: line 19740: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ANTHY, anthy, HAVE_ANTHY=yes, HAVE_ANTHY=no)' This is independent of whether I have installed anthy or not (first I hadn't installed it, then I installed it because I thought the error would go away, but it didn't work).

What works (at least to the extent that it doesn't produce error messages) is to comment out that line. In addition, one has to comment out all other lines that call PKG_CHECK_MODULES. I'm attaching a diff of my changes as configure.diff. Of course this is no real solution. It would be great if there were a better solution.

- When doing 'make' for m17n-lib, I get the following kind of warnings:
*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive /usr/local/lib/libotf.la.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

The exact same warning for: libm17n-core, libm17n, libm17n-flt. Later there are some more warnings that are a bit more extensive, and then also some error messages about undefined references.

I'm not sure why e.g. for libotf, only a static library is being built when a dynamic one is needed. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,    Martin.