Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:48:07 -0500 (EST)

   How about --dark-bg and --light-bg, or something similar?

OK with me.

   > But please provide good documentation for the person who installs a
   > .emacs file, such as:
   >
   >     (set-background-mode 'dark)
   >     (set-background-mode 'medium-background)
   >     (set-background-mode 'light)

   We don't have medium-background in any defface's I've seen...

It is a matter of selecting a set of appropriate faces.  Since I use
white as a foreground for characters, and my background is `darkblue',
I thought I was using a dark background, but gnus did not think so;
hence my discussion with Lars back in 1995.

Here is what I ended up with:

First, I set gnus-background-mode to dark, to override whatever it
generated; then I set gnus-face-dark-name-list like this:

    ;; dark blue   --> cyan
    ;; firebrick   --> firebrick
    ;; dark green  --> MediumSpringGreen
    ;; dark orange --> OrangeRed
    ;; dark khaki  --> khaki
    ;; dark violet --> violet
    ;; dark turquoise --> turquoise

(This works well enough, but a more expert user interface person would
doubtless choose better colors.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com